Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Study Abroad and Money: Why Traveling is Actually the Best Thing You Can Do for your Bank Account

Salaam dear readers,

It feels like it's been eons since I last posted. My sincerest apologies if you're the type to sit hunched over a keyboard, breathing heavily whilst constantly switching between refreshing my blog page, talking to your cat in hushed whispers, and looking at all my Facebook photos while you rock back and forth on a creaky wicker chair.

Seriously, I'd be more than willing to put up with a few crazed fans if this blog became world-famous overnight. Any publicity is good publicity after all, and nothing screams "This blog is AWESOME" more than a bestubbled 25-60 year old dude with bloodshot eyes and a jar of Vaseline actually screaming "This blog is AWESOME" in public places.


Of all things I thought I'd never type into the Google search bar, "Creepy dude" takes the cake

But I digress.

Where have I been, you ask? To be honest, I've been soul-searching. As much fun as it is studying abroad, there inevitably comes a time when one must meaningfully reminisce on the series of events which led up to the big trip. For me, it's taking a look back at all the life experiences I've had and all the work I put into finally being able to study abroad which only makes it easier to do more.

If you're also abroad, you know as well as I do that time absolutely flies. I finally understand how obscure relatives can say things like, 'It was just yesterday that you were in diapers." That's why, against my better judgement, I've just commenced spending what some would consider obscene amounts of money on trips, concert tickets, and nights out.

Of course, this goes without saying that you should never spend more than you make, and right now, I make exactly $0.00 a week (unless you count the 2 euros I got for moving a couch). And yet, at the same time, if you've worked immeasurably hard to make/save said money if only for the sole purpose of being able to enjoy your time traveling, then why not spend it?

The point is, you and I have our whole lives to make money, but we don't get to spend our whole lives in Europe/abroad. If you're just going out and buying bottles of Dom Perignon at the club each night, you might be wasting money.

If however, you're spending money on skiing in the Swiss Alps, chasing the Northern Lights in Norway, sampling fine wine after a tour of a Tuscan vineyard, a gym membership (which you actually use), good food (which you actually know how to cook), a Spring Break in Morocco, and museum entrance fees, you're definitely not wasting money. You're making an investment in yourself as a person.

                                          MC Escher Museum, the Hague 

What's more, being abroad has even further reinforced to me the importance of living within your means. For example, I may or may not have subsisted off Corn Flakes, one euro spaghetti, oats, and water two weeks ago, but I did it because I knew I'd need money for traveling to Cologne for the annual Carnival celebration this weekend.

200 euros for a weekend of drinking Gluhwein with clowns and German women? Absolutely

In sum, I know it's cliche, but I'd so much rather spend every last cent in my bank account to see and do some pretty insane stuff than remain a slave to financial practicality, especially as a 21 year old university student in Europe for six months. You can call me crazy now.

Until next time friends, thanks for reading.

    Drew





No comments:

Post a Comment